The MamaTENS MyTime uses TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) to relieve pain by:
- helping the body to release natural painkillers (called endorphins)
- by blocking pain signals to the brain.
Maternity TENS machines have an excellent reputation as one of the most effective and safest forms of modern pain control available to women when giving birth. Midwives recommend MamaTENs as the machines are safe to use and enable mothers to remain mobile and upright during labour; aiding the descent and dilatation to provide a more natural, drug-free form of pain relief.
Key features of the MamaTENS MyTime include:
- Labour Log & Contraction Timer – measures the duration and intervals of contractions, informing you how your labour is progressing
- Pad Alarm – alerts you when your electrode pads come loose & returns intensity to zero; ensuring perfect pad contact throughout use
- Comfort Strength Control – provides a gentle, gradual and reproducible level of stimulation in 140 steps
- Digital Unit – various programs and settings, giving you a choice of sensations for all stages of labour
- Active Power Ramp – allowing you to quickly increase the strength up to the required level with each contraction
- Mono Plug – the unit uses pads with integral leads and one common plug. This simplifies set up, avoids tangled lead connections and promotes good hygiene
- 2 Preset Programmes – specifically designed to counteract labour pain at each stage
- One Touch Memory Start – when switched on the unit will return to the last programme used, at 75% of the intensity.
CAUTIONS AND WARNINGS (Please read instruction manual carefully before use)
Do not use TENS:
- If you have a pacemaker or have a heart rhythm problem. TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) in the direct vicinity of a pacemaker may affect some models. If TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) is applied on the front of the neck this can affect your heart rate. Very strong TENS across the chest may cause an extra heartbeat.
- If you have epilepsy. TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) may affect seizure threshold. You should consult your doctor prior to using the Tenscare mamaTENS unit.
- During the first three months of pregnancy. It is not known whether TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) may affect fetal development
- On the abdomen in the later stages of pregnancy. Stop use immediately if you experience unexpected contractions.
- When operating machinery, driving or similar actions needing fine control. Loose pads, damaged leads, or sudden changes in contact may cause brief involuntary muscle movements
- To relieve or mask undiagnosed pain. TENS may delay diagnosis of progressive condition.
• Observe caution when using the MamaTENS MyTime at the same time as being connected to monitoring equipment with body worn electrodes; it may interfere with the signals being monitored.
• Strong electromagnetic fields (microwave cookers/electrosurgery/mobile phones) may affect the correct operation of this unit. If it appears to behave unusually, move it away from these devices.
• Use caution following recent surgical procedures. Stimulation may disrupt the healing process.
Do not place electrode pads:
• If the skin is broken. The pads could encourage infection.
• If skin does not have normal sensation. If the skin is numb, too great a strength may be used, which could result in skin inflammation.
• On the front of the neck. This could cause the airway to close, giving breathing problems. May cause sudden drop in blood pressure (vasovagal response).
• Over the eyes. This may affect eyesight or cause headaches
• Across the front of the head. The effect on patients who have had strokes or seizures is not known. May affect sense of balance. The effects of stimulation of the brain are unknown.
• Near malignant tumours. In vitro experiments have shown that electricity can promote cell growth.
• Ignore any allergic reaction to the electrode pads. If a skin irritation develops stop using TENS, and try a different type of electrode. Alternative pads specially made for sensitive skin are available.
Also do not:
• Immerse your TENS unit in water or place it close to excessive heat. It may cease to operate correctly.
• Attempt to open up the TENS unit. This will invalidate the guarantee.
• Mix old, new or different types of batteries.
• Use this device with leads, electrodes, and accessories other than those recommended by the manufacturer. Performance may vary from specification.